For most people, Labor Day marks the end of summer, even though the season officially lasts until September 23. Where did the summer go? That means it’s time to plan your last hurrah before you start battening down the hatches for another chilly NYC winter. Here are 6 escapes that are perfect choices for summer-going-into-fall getaways.
1. Newport, Rhode Island by seaplaneThis charming seaside town is a little over four hours from the city… or a fraction of that , which will deposit you at Gurney’s Montawk Resort of the weekend and flit you home afterwards.
2. The North Fork is the East Coast’s answer to Napa, full of vineyards, fine dining, and everything from quaint bed and breakfasts to lavish inns.
3. East Hampton If you haven’t made it to the Hamptons this summer, don’t you think you’d better get with it? Take in views of Sag Harbor and Shelter Island from your glamping tent on the east end.
4. The Catskills Cozy into your Adirondack chair in the Catskills at Scribner’s Lodge. Summer = pool parties. Fall = fire pits. And any season gives you a lovely view of the nearby slopes of Hunter Mountain.
5. Nantucket Island, Massachusetts Rent a bike, cruise the harbor, see the lighthouses. But most of all, in Nantucket you can be sure to relax.
6. Stone Harbor Just about two hours outside the City on the Jersey Shore you’ll find a beautiful town that was probably appalled by “Jersey Shore.” Enjoy a spa day followed by dockside dining.