After months and months pining for summer, it’s here with a vengeance. This weekend, between the infernal heat, cloying humidity, and possibility of violent thunderstorms, you are better off making your plans indoors. Here are eight air-conditioned spots that offer a reprieve from the heatwave without sacrificing the fun.
1. Brookfield Place Battery Park City’s shopping mall lets you enjoy the sunshine we’ve all been starved of over the winter while keeping it cold indoors. Should you decide to brave the heat, you can always wander out for a waterfront cocktail.
2. Royal Palms Shuffleboard Club Located in downtown Brooklyn, this air conditioned spot offers shuffleboard and giant Jenga over drinks, accompanied by plastic pink flamingos.
3. Essex Market Downtown Manhattan’s Essex Market is essentially an indoor Smorgasburg. It may be slightly less crowded than Eataly, but on a weekend like this one, maybe not.
4. Spa de La Mer Leave the sunscreen at home and treat yourself to a facial and massage in the cool depths of Spa de La Mer in Midtown’s Baccarat Hotel.
5. Le Jardinier This plant-based French cuisine keeps it light so you aren’t contending with a gut bomb when you step back out into the wall of humidity.
6. Hudson Yards Not just a mall, Hudson Yards is its own neighborhood. See what $25 billion built with a trip to this indoor activity hub.
7. The Fleur Room Don’t get tricked into thinking that it will cool off at night. Not this weekend. Admire the Empire State Building from floor-to-ceiling windows at this bar and dance club.
8. Metrograph A movie theater. A bar. A restaurant. A book store. Metrograph isn’t just one thing. Spare yourself the retro carpets and curiously sticky floors by bringing your movie game up a notch.