Planning a staycation this Memorial Day weekend? We salute you. For doing your part to reduce carbon emissions and road rage by staying put in the best City in the nation, New York will reward you with endless entertainment. After all, we’re not called the City that Never Sleeps for nothing. Here are a dozen things you can do to make the most of your three days off.
1. Fleet Week. The parade of ships sails into New York Harbor on Wednesday, May 22, kicking off a full week of paying respect mixed with debauchery. View the impressive ships from different celebration locations, including Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn and Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island. Once the ships have come in, enjoy the Navy Band concert at South Street Seaport from 12:30-1:30 or later at Washington Square Park from 4-5:15.
2. The Freedom Party NYC will host its 15th year of throwbacks on Friday night May 24 at Le Poisson Rouge. You’ll be taken back in time with hits from Salt n Pepa, No Doubt, and Mariah Carey, to name a few.
3. Randall’s Island Outdoor Movie Night Starting on May 24 with the Incredibles 2, the Randall’s Island free film series runs twice a month through September 8.
4. Memorial Day Yacht Party is an all-nighter that kicks off at 11:30pm Sunday and rages til 3:30am Monday from West Harlem Piers Park.
5. Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit Enjoy paintings, sculptures, photography, jewelry, and woodcraft all week long at Washington Square from May 25-June 2.
6. BIG Salsa Festival will host Latin dance events at the Hilton Midtown Hotel from May 24-27. Don’t know how to Salsa? No worries. Some of the best instructors in the world will be there to show you the moves.
7. Memorial Day Concert at Green-Wood Cemetery Enjoy a special program featuring the ISO Symphonic Band and Orchestra, which will be celebrating the 100th birthday of Green-Wood’s permanent resident Leonard Bernstein.
8. New York City Color Run Get colorful (really, you’ll be a human rainbow by the end) at the New York City Color Run on Monday, May 27 at 9:00 am.
9. Brooklyn Memorial Day Parade Connect with what Memorial Day is all about as war veterans march to honor fallen soldiers and their families, a tradition they have kept up for 152 years.
10. Memorial Day BBQ at Monarch Rooftop Lounge Music, food, and drink specials will be available in the heart of midtown with sweeping views from Monarch’s 18th-floor rooftop on W. 35th Street.
11. Kayaking & Canoeing will be offered on Monday, May 27 from 1-4pm at the Socrates Sculpture Park’s Hallets Cove. Free fun for all and no prior boating experience required.
12. Brunch A three-day weekend in NYC without at least one brunch would be an affront to your New York-ness. And if you participate in the Monday morning Color Run, you’ll have earned your mimosas.