Love the City, hate the noise? Back in the day, anybody would have told you to move to Brooklyn, but the hipsters have turned up the volume in once-quiet neighborhoods like Williamsburg and Bushwick. Fear not, there are still places to find peace, and fortunately, you don’t necessarily have to pay a premium for a quiet community.
RentHop, an apartment listing and analytics site, pulled together data from noise complaints to rank the quietest neighborhoods. Here’s the top 10 list:
- Borough Park Also rated as one of Brooklyn’s safest neighborhoods, Borough Park, just east of Sunset Park, has 106,000 residents, but apparently they’re very quiet. Median rent for a 1 BR: $1,650/month. Median price for a 2 BR: $698,000.
- Brooklyn Heights You will pay a premium to live in this quiet neighborhood, with the median rent of a 1 BR at $3,300 and the median price for a 1 BR at $792,000.
- Windsor Terrace Cheaper than neighboring Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, just south of Prospect Park, has a median 1BR rent of $2,290 and a median 1BR sales price of $649,000.
- Midwood Further east than borough park but not quite so far out as Sheepshead Bay, Midwood offers quiet at the median price of $1,750 to rent a 1BR and $304,000 to buy one.
- Homecrest Sometimes considered part of Sheepshead Bay, the median price of a 1BR in Homecrest is $1,695 and the median sales price for a 1BR is $254,500.
- Bensonhurst The largest neighborhood by size in all of Brooklyn, a Bensonhurst 1BR goes for $1,525 a month and sells for $402,000.
- Sunset Park Perhaps not long for this list due to the influx of residents, a 1 BR apartment in Sunset Park carries a median rent of $1,700 a month and a median sales price of $434,500.
- Park Slope One of Brooklyn’s most affluent neighborhoods, it’s not surprise that Park Slope is quiet. Because, you know, the affluent whisper. A 1 BR rents for $2,600 a month and sells for $676,500.
- Carroll Gardens and its slightly less expensive neighbor Red Hook is popular among artists and other creatives. Expect a median rent around $2,650/month for a 1 BR and a sales price aroujnd $756,600.
- Sheepshead Bay ranked one of the best neighborhoods for first-time buyers in 2019 according to Brick Underground, with the price tag for a 1 BR at $279,450 and rent around $1,700/month.